Chianchetelle, a small outlying suburb hamlet of Chianche, stands on a steep rock dominating the surrounding valley.
The Tower was built to monitor and control access to an important route through a valley. Over the succeeding centuries, ownership of the castle passed from hand to hand - Ugone Scillato (1400), Francesco de Tocco (1456), Giovanni Filippo Ripa (1712) and Giovanni Salerno (1743) who was the last landlord of Chianchetelle.
The Tower was used for surveying the surrounding area, looking for foreign elements in the landscape such as enemies.
Its main purpose was to provide a high, safe place from which a sentinel could observe the surrounding area. The Tower is only two stories high, has a quadrangular layout and some vaulted windows.
VISITING IRPINIA CASTLES by Tina Rigione The first guidebook in English, interactive and multimedia, which takes you between the Castelli d'Irpinia, and not only, with a click or a tap: archaeological sites, city walls, towers, medieval villages, palaces and religious monuments, hundreds of original photos collected in photo galleries and video spots, interactive maps, 90 verification and learning tests for children and teenagers and adults, terminology glossary and references to historical figures, main typical products, important cultural events; direct links to the e-mail box to request information on availability and on tourist routes and / or to visit the historical sites; direct links to the website to access the pages in Italian, English, German and Japanese, direct links to social media Facebook, Twitter, Blogger; Back Stage and notes from the author. Apple ID: 1471103747 - ISBN: 9788888332284
What to do, see and visit in Avellino and in the province, in the beautiful Irpinia, at incredibly low prices?