San Barbato Castle is set on the top of the hill. It is located at an altitude of 450 meters from which vantage point it was possible keep watch over the entire valley of the River Sabato.
The fortress was built by the Lombards in 849. The first mention of the fortress appeared in an historical document in 1146, its lord was a certain Malfrido de Sancto Barbato.
The Castle was transformed into a noble residence in the 16th century. Over the years, it was heavily damaged by several earthquakes.
Today the building has a quadrangular layout with two round Towers and two square Towers located on the corners.