The village of Torrioni grew up around a huge tower built by Lombard Duchies (Duchy of Benevento). The Lombard Tower was used to control a strategic route through the Sabato valley.
The Lombard Tower named "Turris Aionis" is first mentioned in a document dated 888.
In 1138 the fief passed to Raone de Farneto, noble of Norman origin who kept it until 1139, year in which it passed to Sarolo del Tufo.
In the following centuries various noble families (among them Caracciolo, Piatti and Capobianco) were invested with the fief.
The Lombard Tower doesn't exist any more. Ruins of an other defensive Tower are visible only a few metres away from Torrioni.
VISITING IRPINIA CASTLES by Tina Rigione The first guidebook in English, interactive and multimedia, which takes you between the Castelli d'Irpinia, and not only, with a click or a tap: archaeological sites, city walls, towers, medieval villages, palaces and religious monuments, hundreds of original photos collected in photo galleries and video spots, interactive maps, 90 verification and learning tests for children and teenagers and adults, terminology glossary and references to historical figures, main typical products, important cultural events; direct links to the e-mail box to request information on availability and on tourist routes and / or to visit the historical sites; direct links to the website to access the pages in Italian, English, German and Japanese, direct links to social media Facebook, Twitter, Blogger; Back Stage and notes from the author. Apple ID: 1471103747 - ISBN: 9788888332284
What to do, see and visit in Avellino and in the province, in the beautiful Irpinia, at incredibly low prices?