The origins of Avellino Castle are vague, it was probably built by the Lombards at the end of the 9th and at the beginning of the 10th century. The town of Avellino was first recorded in 769. The Lombards, Normans, Aragons and Angevins fought over this strategic fortification for years. The Castle was therefore built as a fortress to protect the village from enemy raids.
The prince Camillo Caracciolo transformed it into a noble residence in 1611. Heavily damaged by several earthquakes, the Castle was completely abandoned during the plague of 1656. In the first half of the 18th century lots of Castle stones were used to build the new residence of the Caracciolo called Caracciolo Palace that is located in Piazza Libertà (Square).
Caracciolo Palace is actually the seat of the provincial administration offices.
Since many years, extensive works of restoration patronized by the City Hall of Avellino, have brought to life important archaeological finds, probably of Roman origins.
FROM THE CASTLE, NOW IN
VISITING IRPINIA CASTLES by Tina Rigione The first guidebook in English, interactive and multimedia, which takes you between the Castelli d'Irpinia, and not only, with a click or a tap: archaeological sites, city walls, towers, medieval villages, palaces and religious monuments, hundreds of original photos collected in photo galleries and video spots, interactive maps, 90 verification and learning tests for children and teenagers and adults, terminology glossary and references to historical figures, main typical products, important cultural events; direct links to the e-mail box to request information on availability and on tourist routes and / or to visit the historical sites; direct links to the website to access the pages in Italian, English, German and Japanese, direct links to social media Facebook, Twitter, Blogger; Back Stage and notes from the author. Apple ID: 1471103747 - ISBN: 9788888332284
What to do, see and visit in Avellino and in the province, in the beautiful Irpinia, at incredibly low prices?