Forino: two Castles

Would you like to visit Forino and Celzi?

Please, contact us.

--------

HISTORICAL NOTES

Historical Notes

Lombard Castle in Forino

Forino is first mentioned in the records in 869. Dating back to the 9th century, Forino had several owners over the centuries. It was originally owned by Prince Guaiferio in the 9th century. The little village had an impressive fortress, presumably built by the Lombards. Not much is known about it. It sits on a hilltop with its best views over the valley. The castle soon became the administrative and military headquarters of many lords of Forino. Its important strategic position also warranted making the castle more powerful.

It passed to Giacomo Francisio in 1162. The Cucciniello family took up residence in 1499 and the Earls stayed in residence until 1563. Finally, the castle was inherited by the Caracciolo family, who played an active role in the politics of the age.

In 17th century it had been abandoned, there was no one left to care for it and it fell into ruin. Only the remains survive to show the original style of this work. Nevertheless, it is a noteworthy site, both for what remains and for the history it symbolizes.

Parise Castle in Celzi di Forino

Not far from Forino, in Celzi, we find a small castle that was built by the Parise Family in 1753. It has a rectangular plan with four cylindrical towers on the corners.

Sadly Celzi Castle is in a substantial state of abandon.

top

-



 

 

Discovery

Irpinia Castles

Castle Towers

Castle Ruins

Middle Ages Villages

Villages

Archaeological Sites

Museums

Religious Monuments

Palaces

 

Language

Italian

English

German

Japanese

 

Fun & Cult

Have fun with us

Gallery

Keep in Touch

Complete List

Google Map

Mailing List

Festivals

Social

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Blog

Youtube 1st Channel

Youtube 2nd Channel

Other

Campania

Old Festivals

Links

  • © Since 2009 by Tina Rigione. All rights reserved.
  • Promotion | Consulting | Events | New Ideas
  • The Castelli d'Irpinia-Irpinia Castles-Schlösser von Irpinien words, the Castelli d'Irpinia logo and all marks related to Castelli d'Irpinia are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of Tina Rigione. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such marks and without the owner's prior written permission. Use of www.castellidirpinia.com signifies your agreement to the Privacy Policy, to the Copyright for texts-pictures-movies-translations and to the law of Trade Marks.
  • PATRONAGE | COLLABORATION | NOTES | SPONSOR | PRIVACY | LEGAL NOTES | MAILING LIST