The village of Grottolella was first mentioned in a document that dates back to the middle of the 12th century. At that time, the fortress was besieged and destroyed by King Roger II.
The Castle was built on the foundations of a former Lombard stronghold in the second half of the 11th century.
In 1650 it was changed into a noble residence by the Macedonio family.
Situated on the slope of a hilltop overlooking the valley of the San Giulio River, the Castle survives in a good state of preservation to the present day and is inhabited.