The castle set on a cliff overlooking the strategic road linking Valle Caudina with Avellino. It was built during the Lombard domination, in order to defend the surrounding area from invasion. The Castle was purchased by Riccardo Filangieri in the first half of the 13th century. The Castle was taken in 1270 by Charles of Anjou who donated it to the Stendardo family. It was inherited through marriage by Giacomo della Leonessa in 1450. In 1586 the castle was occupied by Spanish troops and in 1635 it passed to Andrea Lottiero, whose descendants ruled over Pietrastornina until 1806.
Today only the ruins of the castle remain. The perimeter walls can still be seen, but only a few fragments of the towers are still intact.
But despite the fact that so much has been lost, the history remains. The stories of wars, power struggles, sieges and liberation are the story of the Castle itself.
VISITING IRPINIA CASTLES by Tina Rigione The first guidebook in English, interactive and multimedia, which takes you between the Castelli d'Irpinia, and not only, with a click or a tap: archaeological sites, city walls, towers, medieval villages, palaces and religious monuments, hundreds of original photos collected in photo galleries and video spots, interactive maps, 90 verification and learning tests for children and teenagers and adults, terminology glossary and references to historical figures, main typical products, important cultural events; direct links to the e-mail box to request information on availability and on tourist routes and / or to visit the historical sites; direct links to the website to access the pages in Italian, English, German and Japanese, direct links to social media Facebook, Twitter, Blogger; Back Stage and notes from the author. Apple ID: 1471103747 - ISBN: 9788888332284
What to do, see and visit in Avellino and in the province, in the beautiful Irpinia, at incredibly low prices?